Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The most wonderful time of the year

I love this time of year! We live in Arizona so it is sometimes difficult to really capture that winter/ Christmas feeling, where we live there is definitely no chance of a white Christmas, it is still in the 70s today and supposed to hang right around there on Christmas too. I've done snow before and I can honestly say I do not miss it, I just don't like to be cold. Or shovel snow. Or scrape ice off my windshield. Or slip and almost die because I'm wearing flip flops even though it is snowing because I refuse to wear boots anymore because it is March and it should be sunny! Upstate NY and I did not see eye to eye on this.

White Christmas or not, I love holiday decorations! I'm really happy with how our tree turned out this year, I decided to go a little more  rustic and maybe more traditional to match the wreath I made for our front door. We usually go blue and silver but I decided to embrace the red this year, B really isn't a huge red fan and it is my favorite, but I decided to spare him by doing anything permanent like a red wall or something, when we started decorating the house. So he can give me Christmas, compromise is good. Unfortunately, we didn't really own red decorations, so I did some shopping. Definitely not the best quality pic, but it was from my phone when I was shopping. I didn't end up keeping the burlap bow and made my own instead, and I also picked up a lot more of the little berry and etc picks to stick throughout the tree. 
I love how the bow turned out! I roughly followed this tutorial here, it was super easy! I wish I had added some other sort of ribbon wrapped around the tree or had some garland to wrap between the layers of ribbon but it is on my list for next year. The red ribbon is a really pretty red and tan plaid with snowflakes printed on it that I found at Michaels. I also only had 1.5" ribbon on hand, something larger might've been better but we only have a 6' tree so I think it worked out ok. I wanted to add some giant ornaments against the "trunk" of the tree to add some depth but I decided to pass on those this year as well, I might try to find some after Christmas though. Instead I used these giant clip on poinsettias deep in the tree. It helps to cover up some of the bigger gaps, which I like and I wish I had grabbed a few more. I also really like the extra pop of color and how they look against the green of the tree and the ribbons.

So this is our tree this year! I love all of my gingerbread cookie ornaments, I've had them for years and never really had a chance to use them but they worked perfectly this year. I added a little extra detail to the tree with some super cheap floral picks, I was able to cut off the individual sections with some wire cutters and place them throughout the tree. They really helped to fill in some of those bigger gaps as well. For a tree skirt this year all I did was wrap some scrap burlap around the base of the tree. I think it pulls everything together nicely and I already had it, so free is nice as well!


 More projects around the house to come soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment